Xbox One is a top-notch gaming console, but it does have a few issues that can affect performance. One of these is a boot-up problem that causes games to stutter when they start. This issue affects a majority of games, including recent ones like Forza Horizon 3, Final Fantasy 15, Call of Duty: WWII, Sea of Thieves, and more.
Hey there! Welcome to Blinky’s Fun Club, a community blog to help you solve your game stuttering problems! When you encounter an issue playing games on your PC, it can be discouraging to think you’ll never get the game running smoothly again. It can be frustrating to think that no amount of troubleshooting will get you the game you want to play. So, worry not, I’ve got you covered. This guide will explain how to get rid of game stuttering on Windows 10 and Windows 11.
Windows 10 and Windows 11 are both based on the latest release of Microsoft’s Windows 10 operating system, which should mean that game stuttering should be fixed. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Stuttering is a common issue on PCs, particularly on laptops, but it can also be seen on our Windows Phones. The problem is so common that it’s likely to be happening to you right now, but fortunately, it can often be fixed by following simple steps.
authored by Matthew Adams
Windows & Software Expert
Matthew is a freelance writer who has written a number of articles on different technology-related subjects. His primary emphasis is the Windows operating system and all that surrounds it. He is enthralled by… Read more
23rd of August, 2021
Originally published in March of 2021.
- Stuttering in games may be caused by a variety of factors, ranging from a faulty system to non-compliant software.
- Updating your GPU drivers is a must since stuttering in games is typically caused by outdated drivers.
- By optimizing your PC’s settings, you may increase processing speed and enjoy a more streamlined gaming experience.
We suggest Restoro PC Repair Tool to repair a variety of PC issues: This program will fix common computer problems, protect you against file loss, viruses, and hardware failure, and optimize your PC to run at its best. In three simple actions, you can immediately fix PC problems and eliminate viruses:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool, which includes patent-pending technologies (patent available here).
- To identify Windows faults that may be causing PC difficulties, click Start Scan.
- To address problems that are impacting your computer’s security and performance, click Repair All.
- This month, 0 readers have downloaded Restoro.
Stuttering in games refers to the irregular pauses between GPU frames that may affect gameplay and, depending on the severity, render a game unplayable.
A stuttering game will seem sluggish or jerky, delaying the player’s actions for a brief period of time. This delay is much more irritating if you’re playing a game online, but it may also happen in single-player games.
On both Windows 10 and Windows 11 platforms, some gamers have reported that their games slow following Windows build upgrades.
Others merely said that when their games were played at higher frame rates, they stuttered. Despite the fact that the circumstances are identical, the reasons behind them and the actions to take will be different.
Let’s start by looking at what causes stuttering in the first place, since this will help us better understand what we can do to cure and avoid it.
What causes stuttering in video games?
The most common cause of game stuttering is a machine that isn’t strong enough to run the game, but there are other causes as well.
We’ll go through each one, giving you the opportunity to figure out which ones relate to your situation and how to handle them.
As we all know, if you don’t have the newest drivers loaded on your computer, it will impact how your system handles games and other tasks.
The GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) driver is the most frequent device driver that has to be checked, but ensuring sure all of the others are covered will guarantee that no problems arise.
Inadequate system optimization
If your system is slowing down due to junk such as browser caches and temporary files, this will have a significant effect on the speed with which games and other applications operate.
If you use the proper optimization software, you can easily fix this, giving you piece of mind that no important files have been deleted or altered.
If your SSD or HDD is overflowing with games, applications, and files, you may not have enough capacity to run the game or even the operating system.
This is why it is always advisable to maintain your PC free of any unwanted software and games, since any installed applications that haven’t been utilized in a long time will simply slow down your computer.
Failure to satisfy system criteria
If your game’s suggested system requirements aren’t fulfilled, it may stutter and, in some instances, shut down completely.
System requirements for Halo Reach | Neowin.net
It’s a necessity to check the developer’s website for information on the hardware needed to run the game best; failing to do so would mean spending money and effort on a game you can’t play.
How do I fix lagging games on Windows 11 & Windows 10?
1. Lower the graphical settings in the game.
The graphics settings you choose to run your game are another significant element that affects stuttering.
Your game’s stuttering will be greatly affected if your system’s capabilities fall short of the criteria for operating the game properly.
Graphics settings in games – Nvidia
To find possible problems, run a System Scan.
To detect Windows problems, click Start Scan.
To solve problems with Patented Technologies, click Repair All.
To identify faults causing security issues and slowdowns, do a PC Scan using Restoro Repair Tool. The repair procedure will replace damaged files with new Windows files and components once the scan is completed.
To alter this setting, just launch the game, go to Settings, Graphics, and select a lower overall value or disable certain features such as Antialiasing and Shadow values, among others.
2. Install the latest graphics card driver.
- Choose Device Manager from the list by pressing Win + X.
- Toggle the option for Display Adapters on and off.
- Choose Update Driver from the context menu when you right-click your GPU.
- Select Automatically search for drivers.
- Wait for the procedure to finish.
You may get the same results by utilizing specialist driver updater software like DriverFix if you don’t want to go through all of these procedures.
Check the software that came with your GPU to see if it has an update section.
3. Turn off the DVR and the Windows Game Bar.
- Choose Settings from the menu by pressing Win Key+ X.
- Go to the Gaming tab.
- Remove the Xbox Game Bar option from the menu.
- From the left-hand menu, choose Captures.
- Turn off the ability to record in the background while I play a game.
4. Turn on V-Sync.
Nvidia is a graphics card manufacturer.
- NVIDIA Control Panel may be accessed by right-clicking the desktop and selecting it.
- Select Manage 3D Settings from the 3D Settings menu.
- Scroll down the list to Vertical sync and choose it from the drop-down option.
- From the drop-down option, choose On.
- Activate the Apply button.
Graphics from AMD
- Select AMD Radeon Settings from the right-click menu on the desktop.
- Select the Gaming option.
- Select Global Options.
- Select the Always on option under Wait for Vertical Refresh.
5. Disable Intel Turbo Boost.
- Select the OK option after typing powercfg.cpl in Run.
- Next to the chosen plan, click Change plan options.
- Then choose Change advanced power settings from the drop-down menu.
- To expand the Processor power management category, double-click it.
- Then choose Maximum processor state by double-clicking it.
- Set the settings for On battery and Plugged in to 99 percent.
- Then press the OK button.
6. Disable Dynamic Tick
- Select Windows PowerShell (Admin)/Command Prompt (Admin) from the Start menu, or Windows Terminal if you’re using Windows 11. (Admin).
- Press Enter after typing the following command: disabledynamictick yes bcdedit
- Enter the following command in the Command Prompt: useplatformclock bcdedit /set true
- Execute the command below: /set tscsyncpolicy bcdedit Enhanced
- Restart your computer after closing the Windows PowerShell/Command Prompt/Windows Terminal window.
It’s worth noting that there are a few game booster applications available that help you get the most out of your system’s resources.
Numerous tools for boosting games are included in software such as Game Fire 6, Razer Cortex, and Wise Game Booster. For consumers, this software will also close unnecessary third-party applications and services.
When gamers do not optimize system resources for games, stuttering is more probable. As a result, before starting the game, make sure there aren’t too many background applications using system resources.
7. Disconnect the Diagnostic Policy Service from the network.
- To launch the Run dialog, press Win + R.
- Click OK after typing services.msc into the Run box.
- Select Diagnostic Policy Service and double-click it.
- On the Startup type drop-down box, choose Disabled.
- Then press the OK button.
- Reboot your computer.
The most effective methods to avoid stuttering in-game
Purchase some new components.
The easiest approach to prevent having the same problems in the future is to upgrade your gaming rig’s computer components.
The market growth projections for PC components have been gradually rising over time, but there is a leveling off in 2022 and 2023, so you may wish to invest in some new components as soon as feasible.
Estimated market value of PC components – Source: Statista
A good processor (CPU) may make a significant difference in the smoothness of gaming and overall experience since it is the brain of your PC.
Of course, a competent CPU will benefit you not only in gaming, but also in daily tasks.
Aside from processor power, a PC that allows you to play games without stuttering will also have a strong Graphics Process Unit (GPU).
Having adequate RAM and high-speed storage, such as SSD, are also important factors in a smooth gaming experience.
Install the most recent patches for your game.
There may be a problem with the game itself, even though your PC’s components are powerful enough to run it without problems.
Patches and solutions for known problems are frequently released by game creators, so if you find yourself in this situation, just check the producer’s websites for any updates.
As you can see, fixing game stuttering in Windows 10 and Windows 11 is not difficult if you know what you’re doing.
Our solutions cover all areas, from the most basic to the most advanced troubleshooting techniques, ensuring that you receive the best results with the least amount of work.
You don’t have to be concerned about creating any more problems if you follow the instructions precisely.
As a gamer, preventing stuttering should be one of your top concerns, but if it does occur unexpectedly, following this advice will guarantee a fast fix.
Please feel free to share your views on this subject with us. Using the comment box below, you may simply do so.
Are you still experiencing problems? Use this tool to fix them:
- Download this TrustPilot.com-rated PC Repair Tool (download starts on this page).
- To identify Windows faults that may be causing PC difficulties, click Start Scan.
- To resolve problems with Patented Technologies, click Repair All (Exclusive Discount for our readers).
This month, 0 readers have downloaded Restoro.
Most Commonly Asked Questions
Was this page of assistance to you? 13
Thank you very much!
There are insufficient details It’s difficult to comprehend Other Speak with a Professional
There are currently 9 comments.
You’ve purchased your PC, excited to run the latest games, only to find them stuttering in the action scenes because of the low FPS. Or, maybe you’ve stuttered through online games because of lag. Whatever the reason, you’re fed up with the lack of smoothness in your favorite games.. Read more about windows 10 stutters every few seconds 2020 and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix a stuttering game?
The best way to fix a stuttering game is to make sure your PC meets the minimum requirements for the game. If you are still experiencing issues, try turning off any unnecessary programs that may be running in the background.
Does Windows 10 game mode cause stutter?
Yes, Windows 10 game mode causes stutter.
How do I fix video stuttering in Windows 10?
You can try to disable the Windows 10 Game Bar, which is a feature that allows you to record gameplay and share it with others.
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- pc stuttering windows 10
- windows 10 stuttering 2018
- frame stuttering in games
- windows 10 stutters every few seconds
- how to fix stuttering in pc games